The “Folder does not exist” error on Origin can be one of the most annoying issues to get when you’re trying to play your favourite game. If you’re trying to update a game on Windows 10 using the Origin client and get a “Folder Does Not Exist” error message, you may be interested in this article.
We have a wide range of articles here on TechSplat, and today – we take a look at How To Fix Origin “Folder Does Not Exist” Error.
What is the main cause of the Origin “Folder Does Not Exist” error?
There are several errors and issues that can cause the error, however, in most cases, they are easily resolvable and fall into a handful of categories. Some of these categories are as follows;
Folder Access (Allow Permission)
How to Solve Origin’s “Folder Does Not Exist” Error
Restore the Game Libary Location Settings
If Origin cannot update a particular game because of the “Folder Does Not Exist” error, you can also try to fix the problem by resetting your game library settings. You can complete the restoration steps of the Game Libary location settings by completing the following steps.
- In the Origin app, select Origin on the top menu bar, and then click Application Settings.
- In the right pane, select the Install and Backup tab.
- Under “Restore to Computer”, click “Restore Defaults” to locate the game library.
- Then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- After restoring the default settings, you can try updating the game again.
Run Origin Launcher as an Administrator
You may not be able to access folders if Origin does not have administrator rights, especially after updating Windows or Origin. In most cases, launching as an administrator will sometimes fix this. To launch the Original app as an administrator (and hopefully to fix this issue), complete the following steps.
- Right-click the Origin shortcut on your desktop and select Properties.
- In the window that opens, click the Compatibility tab and select the Run this program as an administrator check box in Options.
- Click Apply and OK to save your changes.
- You can then double-click the Origin shortcut to run it as an administrator, and try updating the game to see if the problem has been resolved.
If Origin again shows that the folder doesn’t exist, then we have another fix you can try! Take a look below!
Manually Select a Game Folder
If you still get an error message that the Origin folder does not exist after launching Origin as an administrator, you may need to manually select the installation folder for the game you want to update. By doing so, you will end up with a newly validated file path for Origin to use, which is another cause of this issue. To do this, complete the following steps!
- Simply open Origin, go to My Game Library and click Update Game for the target game.
- If you see the “Source Folder Does Not Exist” error message, click Select New Folder.
- Then select the folder in which the game is installed.
- If all goes well, you will be able to update the game successfully.
In conclusion, the error “Folder Does Not Exist” on the Origin launcher can be quite fustraiting when you’re wanting to play your favorite game. Rest assured, we hope that this guide has helped you get rid of this error!
If you are still having issues with the Folder does not exist error, be sure to contact Origin support here, who may be able to remotely assist with your issue! You can also take a look at more of our Origin related articles here!