Are you getting Kicked by PunkBuster on Battlefield 4? Although Battlefield 4 has been replaced by several other BF games, many people still love to use PunkBuster, but are you being kicked by it? With Steam still taking sales for both BF3 and BF4 – we’re going to take a look into why PunkBuster is kicking you from a match around 30 seconds in.
Let’s jump straight into it, and find out how you can fix Battlefield 4 – Kicked by PunkBuster which is a known bug on Windows devices. Let’s find out more.
What is the cause of the “Kicked by PunkBuster” Error on Battlefield 4?
There aren’t many reasons for this particular problem, but those that have been confirmed by others can be solved by relatively simple methods. Be sure to check out the list of causes we’ve prepared below!
- PunkBuster is Not in a Working State
- The PunkBuster Service is not working or has not Started
- Windows Defender Firewall blocking the Connection
Although these are the common issues relating to being Kicked by PunkBuster, there may be other reasons. Further on in this article, we’re going to take a look at what you can do to fix the error around being kicked by PunkBuster.
How to fix the “Kicked by PunkBuster” Error on Battlefield
Depending on your version of the game, either through Steam or Origin/EAPlay – you will need to check a few things. Let’s find out how you can fix it.
Steam: Update the Steam Client
If you’re not able to play online with PunkBuster or keep getting kicked by it – then you may need to update your Steam client if you use Steam. This was a confirmed fix by the developers of this error. To update your Steam Client, follow the below steps.
- Close Battlefield 4, and restart your Steam App. (Right-Click the Icon, and ‘Quit’).
- Open Steam again, and it should check for updates.
- Restart Steam and let it update.
- Once Steam has updated, restart Battlefield 4 and see if this has resolved the issue.
This error is quite common with Steam updates, but with it being an old bug within Steam, and PunkBuster then you might have the latest version of Steam already.
Install PunkBuster Manually, or Reinstall
If you’ve tried to update Steam and you’re still having issues – reinstalling or manually updating PunkBuster can have an easy fix to being kicked by the tool. To install PunkBuster, follow the below instructions.
- Head over to PunkBuster’s official site and download the App.
- Select the version for your game, and run ‘pbsetup.exe’.
- Accept the EULA agreement and follow the on-screen instructions to finalise the installation of PunkBuster.
- Then, restart Battlefield 4 or your device and try to load into a game again to see if this resolves the issue being kicked by Punkbuster.
Origin: Punkbuster is Either Out of Date or Not Installed
If you’re playing on Origin, you may have an out-of-date, or not installed on your device. The way you can fix this is by following the below steps.
- Go to the Battlefield 4 installation folder (by default C: Program Files (x86)Origin GamesBattlefield 4).
- Open the “_Install” folder.
- In this folder, open the Punkbuster folder.
- Open the redist folder.
- Find pbsvc.exe and run it to update or repair Punkbuster.
If you don’t have PunkBuster or the files above – then you may need to reinstall the Punkbuster app. To do this – use the above instructions to install it.
Conclusion on “Kicked by PunkBuster” on Battlefield 4
If you’re a PunkBuster enjoyer, and you keep getting kicked by it on Battlefield 4, then this can be an annoying error. We hope this guide has helped you understand what the Punkbuster error/bug is, and how you can fix it quickly.
As always, let us know in the comments what your thoughts are on this and if you have any other issues – we’ll be more than happy to help!