Are you unable to hear anyone on Discord? Discord is a VoIP application that is widely used by gamers and non-gamers alike. Because Discord allows voice chats, you may not be able to hear other users when using Discord. However, other users can hear you clearly.
The cause of this problem is usually due to improper audio settings or the fact that your audio device is not selected as the default device. In some cases, the problem may also be caused by a Discord update or a bug in the Discord application. Most of these causes can be fixed in a few minutes, so you don’t have to worry. Have other discord issues? Take a look through our Discord troubleshooting guides here.
What Causes the Issue: Unable to Hear Someone on Discord?
There are several reasons why the sound in your Discord app may not work. Here are some of the most likely reasons.
- The microphone input is not working
- The audio output is not working
- The wrong device is set as the default audio device.
- Viruses preventing your audio system from working
- Outdated audio drivers
- Your operating system needs to be updated
If you can’t hear audio during a voice chat, you may need to check for these issues. You may also need to find out how to enable sound in Discord.
In any case, we’ll give you all the details in the following sections so that you can listen to other users without being interrupted.
How to Troubleshoot Unable to Hear Anyone on Discord?
Use legacy audio subsystem
One of the most common solutions to the problem of not being able to hear other Discord users has to do with hardware compatibility. Sometimes hardware components are not compatible with the current Discord audio subsystem. Simply switching back to a traditional audio subsystem will solve this problem.
Enabling the “Use legacy audio subsystem” option has solved many Discord-related problems, so you should try this option first.
- Open Discord.
- Select the “Settings” tab; (the gear icon)
- Select the “Voice & Video” tab.
- Under the “Voice & Video” tab, scroll down and find the “Audio Subsystem” section. – This should be set as ‘Standard’ if you’ve not changed it before.
- You should see a dropdown menu, in this menu, you will see the “Legacy” option, select it.
- After selecting the “Legacy” option, you will see a message before you accept.
- Finally, select “OK” and let Discord restart.
This method has been known to have the best effect, however, if you’re still having issues with your audio, hopefully, some more of the troubleshooting steps in this guide will help you out.
Default communication device – to fix Unable to Hear anyone in Discord
One method that is regularly neglected is to make headphones the default communication device. This setting is set in Windows, so it can sometimes be overlooked by people wanting to solve this problem. We’ve had great success with this method when helping other people who can’t hear their interlocutors on Discord.
- Right-click on the Sound tab in the lower right corner of Windows and select Open Sound Options.
- In Sound preferences, scroll down to “Related Settings” and select the “Sound Control Panel” tab.
- Find your audio device in the list, right-click on the tab, and select “Set as Default Communication Device”.
- After selecting “Set as a default communication device”, click “Apply”.
- Restart Discord and see if the problem is resolved.
This is another proven way to get Discord working again. This method has helped many people and may be the solution you are looking for.
Setting up the I/O device
One of the easiest steps to solve your audio output problem is to make sure that your audio device is set as your primary I/O device. This is done in Windows, not in Discord, so it can sometimes be overlooked. This can be a problem if you are constantly switching between headphones and speakers.
- Right-click on the “Sound” tab in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Select the “Open Sound Settings” option.
- On this tab, you should see a drop-down menu titled “Select Output Device”.
- Select the drop-down menu and make sure that the headphones you are using are selected as your primary device.
- Do the same for “Input Device”.
- If both settings are correct, restart Discord and the problem will be solved.
In conclusion, we hope that one of these methods has helped you fix your discord issues. If these haven’t helped you, it may be best to contact Discord or change your audio device or PC to make sure there is no hardware issue.
Regardless of this, let us know in the comments if this has helped you, and let us know if you had another fix – we look forward to hear from you!