Are you getting the 0x004f074 error on Windows 10? The Key Management Service is used to enable Windows operating systems and provides a way to automatically enable products such as Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office.
When a supported version of Microsoft Windows or Microsoft Office is installed, computer systems often attempt to detect a key management service server on the network and automatically activate the license. Key management service activations are typically valid for 180 days. During this period, the computer periodically connects to the KMS server to update the computer’s activation.
When attempting to activate a Windows operating system, users sometimes receive an error code 0x004f074. This is a Windows activation error that occurs when Windows cannot reach your organization’s or system administrator’s activation service (or the key management service is unavailable). This error can be caused by differences between KMS client and KMS hosts and can occur during or after Windows installation. Error code 0x004f074 can also occur if the user has downloaded an illegal (pirated) version of the Windows operating system.
What causes Windows 10 activation error 0x004f074?
Error 0x004f074 is an activation problem that many users are currently facing not only with Windows 8, but also when upgrading or upgrading to Windows 10 operating system, and it is still very common.
This problem occurs when the system cannot find the correct activation key or the operating system was not originally purchased.
In short, if you do not or cannot be provided with the original activation key, an activation error occurs. As long as you have the original Windows 10 operating system, this is a benefit, and it only takes a few tweaks in the system to fix it.
Read the following guide and follow the steps to fix error code 0x004f074 so that you can use your Windows operating system without activation problems.
How to fix Windows 10 activation error 0x004f074
Run the Slmgr.VBS command.
- Go to search and type cmd.
- Right-click the command line and select Run as administrator.
- At the command prompt, type the following line and press Enter:
slmgr.VBS -ipk xxxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxx-xxxxx (X`s represent the digits of your product key).
- Then type this line and press Enter:
- Close the command line.
- Restart your computer and see if the activation error 0x004f074 is fixed.
First, you should try to fix this error by using the command line with administrator privileges. With these instructions, you can easily become an administrator if you are not one already.
Next, the first command is usually used to replace the product key. Finally, the second command is used to force Windows to attempt online activation.
Use the Check system files tool to fix 0x004f074
- Press Windows + R to open the “Run” command line.
- Type cmd in the text box and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open the command prompt.
- When prompted, click Yes to run the program with elevated privileges.
- Type sfc / scan now and press Enter to start the SFC scan.
- The command process may take some time, so be patient and wait for it to complete.
- Once the SFC process is complete, restart your computer and make sure that the Windows 10 activation error 0x004f074 is also gone.
Many people confirm that they have successfully bypassed activation error 0x004f074 by running the System File Checker tool. You can try to do the same by following the above instructions.
Disable/remove anti-virus or firewall software
- Log in to Windows as a user with administrator privileges and make sure that no other applications are running on your PC.
- Right-click on the Windows Start button and select “Applications and Features” from the menu.
- “Applications and Features” will display a list of all the programs installed on your computer.
- Select the program you want to uninstall, right-click on it and click Uninstall.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
- Finally, restart your computer to complete the uninstallation.
If you are using an anti-virus program or firewall, it may prevent your operating system from licensing files from the Internet. You can try disabling it for a short time and see if that solves your problem.
Activate Windows by phone to fix 0x004f074
- Press the Windows key + the R shortcut to open the Run command.
- Gateway Type 4.
- Select your country and click Next.
- On the next page, you will see some phone numbers to call. Call and enter the installation ID when prompted.
- Next, enter the confirmation ID you received from the call center representative to activate your Microsoft product, and click Activate.
If you still get the same error, try activating Windows over the phone. This is also a convenient way to activate Microsoft Windows. You need to call the Microsoft Activation Center to exchange activation information.
That’s it. Once you follow any of these steps, you should be able to activate Windows normally and get a message that the Computer is definitely activated.
Conclusion on Error 0x004f074
All in all, we hope this guide has been helpful and you have been able to fix error code 0x004f074 in Windows 10. If this guide has been helpful, let us know down in the comments so we can make sure our guide is updated with the latest fixes! Be sure to check out other TechSplat articles!
If you are still having issues with your device even after trying the above fixes, be sure to check TechSplat for more content, or otherwise contact Microsoft Support for more dedicated, sophisticated support for your issue.